Most Common Mistakes in English | Superfluous Expressions
Contributed By Alok kashyap 1 year ago 3789 Views
Knowledge of superfluous expressions is very important because it can come in handy, while spotting the errors. Knowledge of this topic can fetch 8-10 marks in SSC(pre+main) examination. So, let's begin.
1. 'Cousin brother'/ 'Cousin sister': Cousin itself means the child of your aunt or uncle, who can be a girl or a boy. Hence, it's wrong to say 'cousin brother'/'cousin sister', and instead we should only say cousin.
Incorrect : She is my cousin sister who is doing MBA from IIMA.
Correct : She is my cousin who is doing MBA from IIMA.
2. 'Consensus opinion': Here the opinion should be omitted. 'consensus' means collective opinion or agreement in a judgement reached by a group as a whole. Hence, we should only use consensus.
Incorrect : We are waiting for the members to share their consensus opinion.
Correct : We are waiting for the members to share their consensus.
3. 'Final conclusion': The usage of final is absurd here. We should only use conclusion.
Incorrect : What's the final conclusion of business deal between Sony and LG?
Correct : What's the conclusion of business deal between Sony and LG?
4. 'Funeral service': Here, the usage of service is unwanted. Funeral is itself a ceremony and service. Hence, service should not be used.
Incorrect: Thousands of people attended the funeral service of Micheal Jackson.
Correct : Thousands of people attended the funeral of Micheal Jackson.
5. 'Kindly requested': The usage of kindly is redundant here. Use only requested instead.
Incorrect : You are kindly requested to help her.
Correct : You are requested to help her.
6. 'Supposing if': If is not needed with supposing. It's a wrong usage. Use only supposing.
7. 'Suppose if': Here, the usage of 'if' with 'suppose' is superfluous. Both of the sign condition. Hence, either 'suppose' or 'if' should be used.
Incorrect : Suppose if you won the Oscar, what would you do?
Correct : Suppose you won the Oscar, what would you do?
8. 'During the period of war' : Both the expression are wrong. Instead, you should say- during the war.
Incorrect : She lived in Delhi, during the winter period.
Correct : She lived in Delhi, during the winter.
9. 'Return back': The usage of 'back' is not accepted with return. Hence, As 'return' itself means come back, as to a former place, position or state. Hence, usage of back is superfluous.
Incorrect : He returned back from the US yesterday.
Correct : He returned from the US yesterday.
10. 'Reimburse back': 'Back' won't be used with 'reimburse'. We use reimburse only.
Incorrect : The insurance company reimbursed back him for his losses in the fire.
Correct : The insurance company reimbursed him for his losses in the fire.
11. 'Retreat back': Again 'back' won't be used here. 'Retreat' itself means – to withdraw, retire etc. We use only retreat.
Incorrect : The army retreated back from the conflict zone in Kashmir.
Correct : The army retreated from the conflict zone in Kashmir.
12. 'Recede back': Here also, 'back' should not be used with 'recede'. As, recede itself means to go back or move away. Hence, we use only recede.
Incorrect : The flood waters receded back from the town.
Correct: The flood waters receded from the town.
13. 'Recall back': 'Back' won't be used with 'recall'. We use only recall.
E.g. Can you recall what she said?
14. 'Repeat back': 'Back' should not be used with 'repeat'. Use only repeat instead
E.g. please, don't repeat the mistake.
15. Usage of 'again' after stone verbs: Never use 'again' after verbs like – Rebirth/Reborn/rebuild/regain/reiterate/recast etc.
Incorrect : The sage was reborn again in Vijayanagara.
Correct : The sage was reborn in Vijayanagara.
16. 'Equally as good as': The usage of 'as' should strictly be discarded. Use only 'equally' or 'as good as' separately.
Incorrect : Manju is equally as good as Sharma.
Correct : Manju and Sharma are equally good.
Correct : Manju is as good as Sharma.
17. 'Mutual agreement': In this case the usage of 'mutual' is wrong. Hence, use only 'agreement'.
Incorrect : The manager and the chairman decided on a mutual agreement on profit.
Correct : The manager and the chairman decided on an agreement on profit.
18. 'Mutual friend': Is wrong to say so. Instead we can say 'common friend'. Likewise, we should say – 'common interest' instead 'mutual interest'.
19. 'Mutual dislike of each other': The usage of 'of each other' is wrong.. Hence, the usage 'of each other' after 'mutual dislike' is absurd.
E.g. The members of gangs have mutual dislike.
20. 'Reason because': 'Reason' itself means cause so, its use with 'because' it's fallacious. Rather, it can be used as 'reason why'.
E.g. This is the reason why she didn't come to see me.
21.'Not' is never used after until/unless/forbid/prohibit/prevent/dissuade/deny/refuse/lest
Incorrect: She forbade me not to leave her alone.
Correct: She forbade me to leave her alone.
22.'Coward man': The usage of 'coward man' is wrong because coward itself means a person who Lanka courage. Hence, the use of 'man' is illogical.
Incorrect: He's a coward man/person.
Correct: He is a coward.
23. 'Flee away': The use of 'flee away' is wrong. The meaning of 'flee' is to run away. So, avoid using away with flee.
Incorrect: The thief was about to flee away when the police came.
Correct: The thief was about to flee when the police came.
24. 'With bag and baggage': 'Bag and baggage' is an idiom which means 'with all belongings'. Hence, with after it is wrong.
Incorrect: She left the house with bag and baggage.
Correct: She left the house, bag and baggage'.
25. 'The usage of 'passing marks'/'linking language'/'linking network'/'dressing sense':
All these usage are wrong.
Instead, we should use 'pass marks'/'link language'/'link network'/'dress sense'.
Incorrect: Passing marks are thirty three.
Correct: Pass marks are thirty three.
26. 'Suddenly come across': Omit 'suddenly' as 'come across' means to meet suddenly.
Incorrect : I suddenly came across him on the train.
Correct : I came across him on the train.
LIST OF ALL GOVERNMENT EXAMINATIONS 2018
Friends, Today we are going to provide you a comprehensive list of all the upcoming Banking, SSC ...
List of Indian musical instruments and their famous players!
Here is a list of important instruments along with the indians who play them: Flute Hari Pr...
Types of Cheques.
Cheque: A cheque is a document that orders a bank to pay a specific amount of money from ...
IMPORTANT NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATIONS.
Important National Headquarters for upcoming SSC Exams Rashtriya Bal Bhavan - New Delhi Institute...
Letter Writing: Tips and Topics for SBI PO, BOB PO and Dena bank PO
Readers, Many aspirants like you are doubtful regarding the descriptive test of various Governmen...
Most Common Mistakes in English | Superfluous Expressions
Knowledge of superfluous expressions is very important because it can come in handy, while spotti...
Small Finance Banks and their Headquarters
Small finance banks are a type of niche banks in India. Banks with a small finance bank l...
Military Exercise Between India And Other Countries.
Exercise Name Countries Year Location Mitra Shakti India - Sri Lanka 2015 Pune, In...
GovJobAdda WhatsApp and Telegram Groups
Join Our Social Media Groups and Pages for daily updates, quizzes and Free Tests ! F...